Monday, February 27, 2006

new york new york

Yours truly is in new york these days. as with everywhere else in USA its freezing cold. And I took a nice big long walk of about 10 miles. I might be exagrating a little, but in any case I did walk from the new york youth hostel till the UN. En route I walked thru most of the interesting sites of Manhatten.
first up was central park. I entered the park at the 103 st. gate. Its a big park, took be about 1.5 hrs to walk it. There are several interesting things in CP, and I would recommend anyone in NY to take a walk thru it. Here is what I saw: a big obilisk from the 16th century BC called the cleopatras needle. Its got stuff written on it in heirographics, and the translations are written on a brass plague below it. Then there is a nice big pond and several smaller ones, a place to do boating and a ice skating rink. There is also a small arctic zoo (fitting considering the temperatures) and a children's petting zoo. you can also get horse buggy rides in CP.
Then I came out on the 5th ave. Here there are a row of buildings with all embassies. Next up is the swankiest shopping district with the biggest names in shopping - cartier, bvulgari, etc etc.
Also here is the sweetest disney store. there are all the disney characters out here - in toys, games, watches, salt an pepper shakers an what not.
Next up the rockafeller center. this place also has a nice little skating rink and i guess the 2nd tallest building in NY. The 1st being empire state ofcourse. Then I started walking to the 42 street - thats where the NY public library, grand central an the UN are. all safely captured in my camera. the snaps will get posted one day :)
an by this time it was sun down, so i took a bus to times square, had dinner here at sbarro, and then took the metro back to 103 st. to the hostel.

(This is a very rough cut post written out of a internet cafe, and i have had no time to edit. so do not complain)

No comments: