Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Mockery of religions by Bollywood

Let me begin by confessing that I don't watch hindi movies unless there is overwhelming evidence that the movie is good. This generally means that everyone I know (including folks overseas) has seen the movie and recommended it. Now there are times when I cannot help it and literally have the movie played in my face, whether I like it or not. Movies played by the tour operator when travelling bom - pnq in the bus comes in this category.
So this Monday morning I was in a MSRTC bus being ferried from bom to pnq. The driver pops in the CDs for K3G (Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gam) and, CD2 plays first. So I watch the movie end before it begins. Now the general story goes like this: boy meets girl and they fall in love. The boy happens to be hindu and the girl is muslim. Atleast thats the impression you get since girl calls mommy khala (others call her Daijan), lives in chandni chowk, and has a sister who gets a proper nikah.
All this is very good but suddenly girls daddy dies and guess what, he gets a hindu funeral (extras chanting Ram)! The girl also has a younger cousin called Pooja. And in the end, everyone is decidedly hindu.

Sure the movie was entertaining, but where is the attention to detail?

No comments: